A group approach to children, adolescents, families and teachers
Learn more about this Project
Watch our video (Subtitles in English)
Visit our website – http://oficinadefluencia.com.br
Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/oficinadefluencia
The Fluency Workshop is a different way of approaching stuttering. Children, adolescents and their families have the opportunity to learn more about stuttering, share their feelings and practice strategies to improve communication and fluency. In each workshop participants choose a theme to develop and produce over the meetings (posters, lectures, videos, brochures, blogs, websites or drawings), expanding their knowledge and inspiring others.
Then, the production made in the workshop is taken to the community as a volunteer work of all those involved (Speech and Language Pathologists, children, adolescents and their families).
From there the project “Stuttering Friendly Schools” emerged. Children and adolescents went to their own school and gave a lecture on stuttering for all school teachers.
Everyone wins! Children and adolescents became empowered. They learnt that teaching and educating people about stuttering is as important as learning to speak more fluently. And the school, in addition to learning about stuttering and how to deal with students who stutter, receives the quality mark “Stuttering Friendly Schools”, a quality mark set up by Fluency Workshop in partnership with the Brazilian Stuttering Association.
The work is done in groups and involves the following steps:
- Awareness: how speech works activities, body awareness, discussion about the causes of stuttering, impact on quality of life.
- Desensitization: activities that help reduce negative emotions associated with stuttering.
- Communication Skills: activities that help develop or maintain eye contact, response time, pauses during speech and communicative shift changes, promoting confidence and security when communicating.
- Fluency Shaping: Strategies to speak in a more easy and relaxed manner, modifying the speed and tension associated speech.
- Stuttering Modification: strategies for the modification of stuttering before, during and after they occur, enabling the perception and change in body tension.
- Final production: the participants of each workshop choose something to develop and produce along the workshop. May be a lecture, brochure, poster, blog, presentation to the school etc.
- Parent Workshop: parents group to exchange experiences and to learn more about stuttering.
Stuttering Friendly Schools
ESCOLA AMIGA DA GAGUEIRA
What is it?
The quality mark “Stuttering Friendly Schools” is the first Brazilian certificate directed to public and private educational institutions which have received information on how to deal with students who stutter, promoting an environment of respect for individuality and possibilities of each student.
How it works?
Through our methodology of work with children and teenagers who stutter, we found that it is possible to take the workshops into the schools, engaging students and teachers in educational work and respect for people who stutter.
We believe that all people who stutter may have a better fluency and a better life. The individual transformation is only the first step so that they can transform the school where they study and the reality in which they live.
We are all together in this transformation. The quality mark “Stuttering Friendly Schools” was designed by Fluency Workshop in partnership with the Brazilian Stuttering Association.
How could my school participate?
All participants in the Fluency Workshop may indicate their schools and participate actively in the training of their teachers. Our team work together with the teaching staff to develop a custom template for each institution.
1,209 total views, 1 views today