Favorite To: All who work with school aged children



My name is Allison Cullinan and I am currently a graduate student studying speech-language pathology at Touro College in Brooklyn. As an undergraduate I obtained my degree in general and special education (birth-sixth grade) and have a desire to work with school aged children in my future.


My question pertains to the mental health support for those children who stutter. My brother was diagnosed with Tourette’s Syndrome as a child and I saw what an impact his disorder had on his self image and anxiety. Similar to Tourette’s, stuttering can play a huge role on children’s (and adults) emotions. I was just wondering if you believe that it is important for these children to seek therapy from a psychologist to help them when times are tough? Do you think SLPs should refer these children and/or recommend it to their parents?


Thank you for your time 🙂 ,

Allison Cullinan

 1,064 total views